Today in America, 23 million people are hungry. But it’s not just a national problem. Hunger exists right here in East Central Alabama. Food insecurity is closely linked to poverty. People suffer from hunger and food insecurity when they do not have the money to purchase nutritionally adequate food. More than 15 percent of Alabama residents live in poverty. In some counties in our service area, the number rises to almost 30 percent – one out of every three residents.
Alabama Hunger Statistics
1. In 2014, Alabama ranked number 4 in child food insecurity.
2. 16 percent of Alabama's seniors live below the poverty level.
3. Over 18.8 percent of Alabama population are "food insecure." This means they are not assured of being able to obtain a balanced, adequate diet from non-emergency channels.
4. In 2014, Alabama had one of the Top 5 Highest Poverty Rates in the US.
5. 911,440 Alabama residents are food insecure
6. In 2014, Lee County had an 18.3 percent food insecurity rate.